_verify" content="bbb841dd5e0db345e51757e59e8d03cb"/>

Monday, June 10, 2013

Random Teachings

We went to a 9 year old GIRL birthday party the other day. As a party game they were going to have a jump rope contest. My first thought was my boys don't even know what a jump rope is. They would use it as a chain to tie things up. They do know all kinds of tractor equipment, slingshots, targets, and other stereotypical boys things, but not jump ropes.

Needless to say, they didn't win prize. My 5 yr old came home that night and practiced and practiced until he was so upset and frustrated. But by the next morning he was beaming with achievement because he could jump it one time. (The 3 yr old, that is a different story).

So I racked my brain and came up with a list of some random things I've decided I need to teach my boys. This list is of things I have neglected completely or still need work, especially with Kindergarten just a few months away. (My Mommy/Teacher short comings).
1. Jump roping
2. The Pledge of Allegiance (why has this NOT crossed my mind)
3. Better use of Ma'am and Sir
4. Tying Shoes
5. Pour into a cup (dreading this one)
6. Scissor skills
7. Blowing nose
8. Bottom wiping!!
9. Writing name in upper lowercase letters and forming letter correctly. (Like making the lowercase e, he starts at the bottom and circles up and around to the right, then the horizontal line to the left). Drives me crazy!
10. Drawing details (stick people, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment