_verify" content="bbb841dd5e0db345e51757e59e8d03cb"/>

Friday, July 12, 2013

I Feel So Country!

With our garden in full swing this summer, I was actually prepared this year for our "crop". I have all the canning supplies now and also have narrowed it down to our 2 favorite dill recipes. This year I am trying 2 different spicy pickle recipes too. (But they have to sit a  little longer before I try them, so I don't know if they are good yet). I have a whole cubby full of pickles and my garden is still producing. Last year when I made pickles I thought, why would people do this when they can just buy them at the store. I guess I've had a change of heart. Plus I found people like them as gifts.  Who knew!??!
This is where I REALLY feel Laura Ingalls. I planted pumpkin seeds left over from last year. I never guessed it would work this year since they hadn't in years past. Well, yep they are doing well. I had small little pumpkin seeds and regular sized ones. The small pumpkins the boys have been using as decorations because I have no idea what to do with them. So pumpkins decorations in July. :)  Then the big ones became ripe. I picked one and it sat on my counter for a few days and I pondered what to do with it. Carve it?? That is all I've ever done before.My 3 yr old would see it and ask for pumpkin bread. I've NEVER made it before, but he put 2 and 2 together about zucchinis from the garden and making zucchini bread, so he asked for pumpkin bread. Let me also say, last fall was also the first time I made pumpkin anything (with the canned stuff).
Since I can't let me sweetie down, I sat down and googled what to do with a real pumpkin. Thank goodness for the internet and blogs with pictures!!
In case you want to know, it is EASY.
1. Cut your pumpkin into 4 big chunks (like cutting a melon). I used an electric knife.
2. Scoop out the seeds and guts with a spoon.
3. Lay it on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for at least an hour.
4. Scoop out the flesh part (kinda like a baked sweet potato).
5. Put in a blender or food processor and add a tiny bit of water.
6. Freeze 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups in a ziplock bag. This makes it easier later when making things, it is already measured for you.

I baked my pumpkin and made my own puree for pumpkin bread. It had pinned a pumpkin bread recipe and it came with an icing recipe too. SO GOOD!!! Here is the pumpkin bread recipe link I used. I suggest trying it.
Pumpkin bread from scratch and buttercream icing.
So now I know how to make pumpkin bread from scratch. Once again, this is NOT how I normally cook. I am so proud of myself. Since I pureed 2 pumpkins worth, I have the pureee saved in my freezer. I can't wait to try out more.


No comments:

Post a Comment